The Jefferson County Historical Society was founded in 1946 to preserve the heritage of the county for future generations.
The complex is conveniently located near downtown Mount Vernon, IL
The Museum and the Village with its buildings and their contents reflect life in Jefferson County from the mid-nineteenth century to more recent years. Among the furnished buildings, one finds homes of the nineteenth century, a one-room school, a log church and log jail, operating blacksmith and print shops, merchandise in the general store and a variety of medical equipment from a foot-treadle dentist's drill to a Civil War amputation kit in the Medical Building.
The Society assists in historical research; aids in collecting and preserving data and artifacts; has established and maintains facilities that will preserve in permanent form the results of such research and collections; provides tours and programs for area schools, organizations and individuals; and, publishes in appropriate manner those materials that will further these objectives.